Environmental Law & Economics: Vaclav Klaus: From Communism to environmentalism

Radovan Kazda
Environmental Policy Analyst
Conservative Institute of M. R. Stefanik
radovankazda[at]institute.sk

Friday, May 30, 2008

Vaclav Klaus: From Communism to environmentalism

By NP Editor, Financial Post, NationalPost.com (link)
Vaclav Klaus, president of the Czech Republic, presented his book, Blue Planet in Green Shackles, to the National Press Club in Washington this past Tuesday.
"I spent most of my life under the communist regime which ignored and brutally violated human freedom and wanted to command not only the people but also the nature. To command “wind and rain” is one of the famous slogans I remember from my childhood. This experience taught me that freedom and rational dealing with the environment are indivisible. It formed my relatively sharp views on the fragility and vulnerability of free society and gave me a special sensitivity to all kinds of factors which may endanger it."

No comments: